Zikography

The man, The shave, The theology.

March 30, 2006

Curiosity Prevails

As it always does. And should.

I shall answer a question posted in a previous comment by writing a brief history of my life here.

I was born in Vancouver, back when it was a quaint city, but moved to Calgary at a ripe young age of 3 months. Although of Indian heritage, my parents were both born and raised in East Africa (Tanzania and Uganda), and as such, had a different outlook on life than the traditional Indian. (Digression to illustrate my point: Recently, a doctor was arrested in India for testing the gender of a fetus prior to performing an abortion. India recently passed a law barring such acts, because of the greater value placed on male children, or more particularly, male first-borns. In the 60's, such thoughts were predominant in India, while frowned upon in East Africa).
So, you can imagine, although the Canadian value system I was born into differed somewhat from the one my parents upheld, they were far more in-tune with the concept of the generational gap, having gone through one themselves.
As a result, we have close family ties -- not to maintain a facade of honor and respect to the community, but because of honor and respect inside the unit.

I digress.

Because of these circumstances, I was born and raised with a very mixed, but complementary, set of beliefs and values.
I am Canadian. I am Indian. I am African. I am one religion, I am all religions, I am my religion. And I am me. Things get confusing and theological here, so we'll leave this for another discussion.

I earned my high school diploma from Lester B. Pearson high school (NE hood), and headed off to the University of Victoria to get me some edumacation. I finished that a few years ago, and now live back home in Calgary, trying to earn a living in the rat race that destroys dreams (not mine, baby. I dream for a living.)

So, my current involvements:
I am now a Salsa/Merengue/Bacchata/Cumbia/Cha-cha teacher-assistant with the U of C Student Ballroom Society (which, despite it's name, also offers latin courses) (www.ucalgary.ca/~bsociety);
I am part of the Entertainment Committee of this year's World Partnership Walk (www.partnershipwalk.com);
I am learning Rueda Cubana and Salsa on saturdays/sundays;
I intend to hit the mountains on a once-weekly basis as soon as the weather improves;
I wanna get right the fuck outta Canada, work abroad for awhile, and then come back to settle down;
I plan on getting me a motorbike some time this month and enjoy the few months of summer the way God (or Apollo or Ra-Atum-Khepri or [insert favorite sun god here]) intended.

Keep an eye open on my blog, i will be blogging about events surrouding my life.

Okay, that's me in a snapshot. Oh yeah, almost forgot: I have the sweetest shave ever.
In the off chance that anyone ever reads this, and has questions, use that tiny little comments link right underneath this.

Ciao for now!

2 Comments:

Blogger R R said...

nice! bsociety .. i was thinking of joining this jan but things came up .. bah! two another things we have in common

1. goin to the mountains every weekend! hell yeh!

2. getting the fuck out of canada and work abroad ...

hmm bloggers do think alike. heh

10:17  
Blogger Ziko said...

Indeed, r-r... indeed.

20:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home