Zikography

The man, The shave, The theology.

April 11, 2006

The search for the motorbike

So I decided some months ago that I would get a motorbike. A cruiser, as I am in it for the enjoyment and not the speed. But I knew nothing about biking and I tend to get myself psyched up for many projects but get lazy and let them fall through.
So I started by reading all kinds of links about first-time biking, bike styles, etc., and even found a sweet link which gives one helluva description of all things biking for the newbie. I'll put the link up as soon as i find it again.
Then I did my research on engines, learned about 4-stroke vs. 2-stroke engines, what "100 cc" means, cylinders, efficiency, the full meal deal.
Subsequently, I started looking at bike makes, models and styles.

Most recently, I visited some motorcycle shops here in calgary (Blackfoot, Walt Healey) and tried sitting on a few bikes to get the feel. I was hooked. I even told my girl I was gonna be cheatin on her with my new love.
So I've signed up for the safety course, and am now in the process of looking for a used bike, and getting insurance quotes. I'm leaning towards the following bikes:
Yamaha V Star 650, Suzuki Boulevard S40 (600 CC single-cylinder... weird, eh?) or S50 (800 CC twin, kida big), Honda Shadow, etc. Essentially, nothing bigger than 800cc, nothing smaller than 600 cc.

If you know something I don't, lemme know!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home