Zikography

The man, The shave, The theology.

January 10, 2012

PogoPlug: Not fantastic...


Edit 1: I was wrong about the number of devices... looks like it just took awhile to recognize my remaining devices!
Edit 2: Okay, so you can rename your devices, at my.pogoplug.com --> Settings or Account Settings --> General Settings.  Not very intuitive...

I bought a PogoPlug, and I'm gonna keep it, but it's not fantastic.


Why I'm keeping it:
  1. It gives me access to my personal drives (currently 8TB of data) from anywhere I am.
  2. It will stream my media files to other computers and to my XBox360 (to be tested).
  3. I can remotely print via the Pogo


Why I'm not a huge fan:
  1. Even if I use a USB Hub, the thing limits me to 3 devices.  What's worse, I can't choose which devices (See edit 1 at the top)
  2. I can't rename the devices, so I'm left to remember that the Brand A Model B is my Media drive, while my Brand C Model D is my Memories drive.  yuck. (See edit 2 at top)
  3. The software installed on my Windows PC is clunky, at best.  
    • The only way to access it naturally is through a drive letter, and that only grants me access to the Cloud storage, not my local storage. 
    • I can only access my files two ways:  Via the web (i.e. instead of doing a short, high-speed local network hop, I'm forced to do an Internet leap to get my local data rather than a local network hop), or via the locally installed application.  I can't access my drives via network paths (UNC), mapped drives, library folders or any other normal-Windows-way of getting to my files.  In other words, applications that rely on this information are hooped unless I download it from a drive attached to my Pogo onto a local drive in the computer.  Totally defeats the purpose.


Verdict: I may not keep it for very long....
BTW, I use Dropbox for storage of my critical, must-always-be-available data.  Free version limited to 2GB, of course... but still...

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home